The Security Committee of Hadramout Valley and Desert announced on Thursday a package of measures and reassurances following the security tensions witnessed in Tarim district in recent days, after protesters blocked the main international road, causing significant material damage and restricting citizens’ movement.
In an official statement, the committee said that the road blockage in Tarim district “caused significant economic losses due to the damage of a large number of goods and commodities owned by citizens, and also caused general discontent due to the inability of residents to travel to their workplaces and interests in neighboring districts.”
The committee explained that it made extensive efforts to deal with the situation, including communication with social figures, dignitaries, and tribal leaders, confirming that “all those contacted unanimously condemned this act, as it harms the religious and cultural reputation of Tarim and threatens social peace.”
The security committee emphasized that “security and stability are the solid foundation for a decent life, guaranteeing freedom of movement and the preservation of public and private rights,” while affirming that “security authorities will not allow the security situation to deteriorate or the state’s prestige to be undermined.”
The committee called on citizens to cooperate with the security forces deployed in the field, stressing that “security protection is a collective responsibility, and security personnel are part of this community, performing a national duty deserving support and backing.”
Regarding the case of the killing of the young man Yadin, the security committee stated that “investigations are ongoing and will follow their legal course until the truth is revealed and justice is served,” adding: “Instructions have been issued to provide treatment for the wounded among civilians and military personnel, compensate the injured, and release all detainees as a gesture to calm the situation and in appreciation of the elders and dignitaries of Tarim.”
The committee stressed the necessity for local authorities in all districts to “fulfill their duty in monitoring prices, implementing the Central Bank’s decisions to adjust prices in line with the improved exchange rate, and taking legal measures against violators.”
The statement concluded with a call to political and media forces to “adopt a responsible discourse that takes into account the current circumstances and adhere to peaceful expression within the framework guaranteed by the constitution and law, without harming public interests or threatening security,” affirming that “preserving public and private property and unity is the way to enhance security and stability in Tarim and all valley districts.”
Security and military forces launched a wide campaign early Thursday to reopen the international road linking Hadramout and Al-Mahrah governorates, after it was closed for more than a week by protesters in the city of Tarim.
Local and medical sources told “Al-Masdar Online” that the security campaign at the entrance to Tarim city witnessed a heavy deployment of security and army forces at the city’s entrances and some neighborhoods near the international road, during which tear gas was used to disperse the sit-in protesters.
During the campaign, two protesters were shot, one seriously injured in the chest and the other in the abdomen, and they were transferred to Sayun Hospital for treatment.
The forces removed the barriers that were obstructing the passage of transport trucks (trailers) that had been stopped for days, while security units remain stationed at the site in anticipation of any new escalation.
Commenting on the events, Deputy Speaker of Parliament, Engineer Mohsen Basra, said that the use of force is “unacceptable,” warning that “security and military solutions will not be effective in Hadramout Valley.”
Basra added in a press statement: “Security and military solutions will not solve issues or achieve demands but will increase tension,” stressing that “shooting at peaceful protesters is unacceptable.”
Basra revealed that the Hadrami parliamentary bloc has begun discussing what happened and “is moving to take a clear position,” noting that the bloc’s head, Sheikh Saleh Salem Al-Amri, is in direct contact with the Hadramout Valley Deputy, the commander of the First Military Region, and the security director, “to confirm that this approach against peaceful protesters is completely rejected,” he said.
The news was shared.
Recommended for you
Exhibition City Completes About 80% of Preparations for the Damascus International Fair Launch
Afghan Energy and Water Minister to Al Jazeera: We Build Dams with Our Own Funds to Combat Drought
Iron Price on Friday 15-8-2025: Ton at 40,000 EGP
Unified Admission Applications Start Tuesday with 640 Students to be Accepted in Medicine
Al-Jaghbeer: The Industrial Sector Leads Economic Growth
Love at First Sight.. Karim Abdel Aziz and Heidi: A Love That Began with a Family Gathering and 20 Years of Marriage