A source within the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) told Al Jazeera on Monday that the movement has agreed to a new proposal received from Egyptian and Qatari mediators regarding a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip and the release of Israeli prisoners.
This new approval by Hamas may force Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (who is wanted by the International Court of Justice) to accept what he previously rejected according to new field developments, without abandoning his recently announced strategic goals, according to political analyst Ibrahim Al-Madhoun.
Hamas’s approval comes amid a meeting between Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi and Qatari Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, where both sides emphasized the importance of urgently and unhindered humanitarian aid to Gaza, alongside the release of prisoners, stressing their firm rejection of any military reoccupation of the Strip or displacement of Palestinians.
According to reports, the proposal received by Hamas includes the following:
In his analysis of the reasons for Hamas’s acceptance of the new proposal, Al-Madhoun said Hamas was today more prepared to accept what it previously did not, especially if it could stop the ongoing genocide against civilians in Gaza.
He explained that the highest priority for the movement is to protect more than one million Palestinians in Gaza City alone, who are now at risk of death and displacement, and thus any decision that could save the Palestinian people is seriously considered by Hamas.
Al-Madhoun added in statements to Al Jazeera Net that the intensive consultations conducted by a Hamas delegation in Cairo alongside several Palestinian factions reinforce this, as the movement is keen to consult and take the collective stance of the factions, as well as listen to the grassroots in Gaza who no longer see any option more important than stopping this war.
Regarding the international and regional stance on stopping the aggression, the political analyst confirmed that Hamas is aware of their inability to pressure Israel, while at the same time it does not want to bear responsibility for the continuation of massacres. It seeks to spare its people further destruction and fears that hardening positions will give Netanyahu an excuse to continue his project of exterminating Gaza and displacing its people.
Regarding the issue of weapons, which is the most problematic item in all previous negotiations, Al-Madhoun pointed out that notably the current proposal does not address the resistance’s weapons.
In the same context, the political analyst added that the proposal also does not include any displacement or harm to the Palestinian presence in Gaza. “This provides a real opportunity to stop the genocide and allows Hamas and the Palestinian factions to comprehensively reassess the national situation and come out with a unified position that can be an entry point to end the war and reorganize the Palestinian house.”
The speaker concludes that Hamas’s approval of the new proposal “represents a step to save the Palestinian people and the beginning of creating a more serious regional and international climate to formulate a political solution that ends the war and prevents the risks of displacement and genocide.”
With the field changes in Gaza and the civil movement inside Israel threatening a total civil disobedience, especially with the looming legislative elections, Netanyahu may find himself forced to accept the new proposal, even temporarily and without abandoning his recently revealed strategic goals.
Al-Madhoun presents several factors that make Netanyahu forced to accept this proposal:
Therefore, Netanyahu’s approval of the new proposal is purely a tactical step rather than a sincere response to a desire to end the war and stop the genocide.
It is worth mentioning that Egypt, Qatar, and the United States are mediating efforts between Israel and Hamas to reach a ceasefire in Gaza. The last round of indirect negotiations between the two sides in Doha lasted several weeks under the auspices of mediators before ending on July 25 without any results.
Recommended for you
Exhibition City Completes About 80% of Preparations for the Damascus International Fair Launch
Unified Admission Applications Start Tuesday with 640 Students to be Accepted in Medicine
Afghan Energy and Water Minister to Al Jazeera: We Build Dams with Our Own Funds to Combat Drought
Iron Price on Friday 15-8-2025: Ton at 40,000 EGP
Al-Jaghbeer: The Industrial Sector Leads Economic Growth
Love at First Sight.. Karim Abdel Aziz and Heidi: A Love That Began with a Family Gathering and 20 Years of Marriage