The office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that Netanyahu spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump about Israel’s new plans to attack Gaza. Netanyahu’s office added that both parties discussed Israel’s plans to control the remaining Hamas forces in Gaza to end the war by securing the release of hostages. Netanyahu considers his new plan to expand military operations and control Gaza City as the best way to end the war, defying increasing calls for a ceasefire. In a press conference in Jerusalem defending his plan, Netanyahu said the new operation would be carried out within a relatively short timeframe because they want to end the war. After more than 22 months of war, Israel suffers increasing division between those demanding an end to the conflict and a deal for hostage release, and those wanting to eliminate Hamas and other Palestinian factions.
Criticism increased domestically and internationally after the security cabinet, headed by Netanyahu, announced plans last Friday to expand the war and control Gaza City. However, Netanyahu spoke defiantly on Sunday during a rare press conference, saying this is the best way to end the war quickly. He said he does not want to discuss precise timelines but speaks of a relatively short schedule because they want to end the war. The goal of the new operation is to dismantle the remaining Hamas strongholds in Gaza City and central refugee camps, while creating corridors and safe zones to allow civilians to leave those areas. Netanyahu said they have completed a large part of the work and currently control between 70-75% of Gaza. However, two strongholds remain: Gaza City and the refugee camps in the center of the sector and al-Mawasi. There is no other option to complete the mission.
Following last week’s security cabinet meeting, the government announced a plan to control Gaza City, while Netanyahu’s Sunday remarks indicated wider operations. Hamas political bureau media advisor Taher al-Nunu called Netanyahu’s press conference statements a series of lies, saying he cannot face the truth and works to mislead and conceal it. Netanyahu held the press conference before a UN Security Council meeting to discuss the Gaza situation and the new Israeli plan. Thousands of Israelis protested in Tel Aviv against the security cabinet’s decision. Protester Joel Obodov said the new plan is just another plan that will fail, may write the end of their hostages, and may lead to more soldiers’ deaths. Netanyahu has faced regular protests since the war began, with many demonstrations calling for a ceasefire and hostage release agreements after previous truces exchanged detainees for Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails.
Netanyahu also faces pressure from the far right to tighten control over Gaza. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich criticized the new plan as limited and weak, saying the prime minister and cabinet succumbed to weakness and decided to repeat the same approach, launching a military operation that does not aim for a decisive solution. The far right has significant influence in Netanyahu’s coalition government, as its support is vital to maintaining a Knesset majority. Far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir called for control over “all Gaza,” saying on Kan radio that victory is possible and he wants all Gaza to be transferred and settled, adding this step will not threaten the forces. The decision to expand the war in Gaza sparked widespread criticism worldwide. The UN Security Council held a meeting on Sunday to discuss recent developments.
UN Assistant Secretary-General Miroslav Jenka told the council that if these plans are implemented, they could lead to a new disaster in Gaza, echoing throughout the region, causing more forced displacement, killings, and destruction. Foreign powers, some allies of Israel, seek a negotiated truce to secure the return of hostages and help alleviate the humanitarian crisis in the sector amid repeated warnings of possible famine. Despite denunciations and rumors of opposition from senior Israeli military leaders to the plan, Netanyahu remained firm in his position. He said during his press conference in Jerusalem, “We will win the war with or without anyone’s support.” He added, “Our goal is not to occupy Gaza but to establish a civilian administration in the sector not linked to Hamas or the Palestinian Authority.” Netanyahu’s office later said he spoke by phone with U.S.
President Donald Trump to discuss the new military plans.
Recommended for you
Exhibition City Completes About 80% of Preparations for the Damascus International Fair Launch
Afghan Energy and Water Minister to Al Jazeera: We Build Dams with Our Own Funds to Combat Drought
Iron Price on Friday 15-8-2025: Ton at 40,000 EGP
Unified Admission Applications Start Tuesday with 640 Students to be Accepted in Medicine
Al-Jaghbeer: The Industrial Sector Leads Economic Growth
Love at First Sight.. Karim Abdel Aziz and Heidi: A Love That Began with a Family Gathering and 20 Years of Marriage